By Jorge Pascual, Corporate Lawyer at Techsoulogy
The world of digital advertising can be complex and ever-changing, and publishers are often faced with the challenge of selecting the best SSP to meet their specific needs. With the new Digital Services Act (DSA) in place, starting February 2024, it is more important than ever for publishers to consider how their SSP selection will impact compliance with these regulations as all AdTech players will now be under the radar of this new regulation.
DSA: what it is and how it affects publishers
So, what exactly is the DSA, and how does it impact publishers’ decisions when choosing an SSP? The DSA is a European regulation adopted by the Council of the European Union aimed at creating a more transparent and fair online environment. Compliance with the DSA mandates data protection, transparency, and fair competition standards that publishers must adhere to not only when selecting an SSP, but also in their daily activity.
Here are some key considerations for publishers when selecting an SSP in compliance with the DSA:
- Data Protection: In today’s digital age, data protection is paramount. Publishers must obtain user consent to use personal data and comply with GDPR and other data protection regulations. When selecting an SSP, publishers should ensure that the SSP can handle consent management requirements in compliance with data protection regulations. Additionally, the SSP should have a good track record of compliance with data protection regulations. This will ensure that publishers are protecting user data and staying in compliance with regulations.
- Transparency: The DSA aims to create a more transparent online environment also affecting the AdTech industry. Publishers should ensure that the SSP they choose can provide transparency in terms of ad inventory, ad revenue, and ad pricing. This means that the SSP should provide a clear process for ad auctioning and bidding. Additionally, the SSP should provide transparent reporting on ad campaign performance permitting publishers to see how their ads are performing and make data-driven decisions.
- Fair Competition: It is crucial for publishers to select an SSP that treats all buyers fairly and does not discriminate based on their size or budget. This ensures that publishers are not missing out on revenue opportunities and buyers can compete fairly in the marketplace. The SSP should have a fair and transparent bidding process that ensures all buyers have a chance to bid on ad inventory, as part of the initiative of the European legislator to establish a more fair AdTech environment.
- Reporting and Optimization: The SSP should provide comprehensive reporting to enable publishers to make data-driven decisions and optimize their ad campaigns for maximum revenue. This includes providing data on ad campaign performance, such as click-through and conversion rates, and offering optimization tools to help publishers improve their campaigns.
- Support and Integration: The SSP should integrate with existing systems and provide dedicated support to avoid costly and time-consuming integration processes. The SSP should also have a dedicated support person or team that can help publishers with any issues or concerns they may have regarding compliance with DSA mandates. Having a specialized DSA point of contact ensures that publishers can get the help they need when they require it and can continue to focus on creating quality content for their audience.
In conclusion, compliance with the DSA is a critical consideration for publishers when selecting an SSP. By choosing a provider that meets the standards set by the DSA, publishers can ensure that they are complying with regulations, protecting user data, and creating a fair and transparent online environment. With these considerations in mind, publishers can select an SSP that meets their needs and helps them achieve their goals in today’s digital advertising landscape.
It is not just about finding the most comprehensive tool or the cheapest option. It is about finding a partner who shares your vision for the future of digital advertising.
Tappx is compliant with DSA and all regulations in the countries in which we operate with a commitment to creating a more transparent and fair online environment. Please, contact our team to know more about our services and what we can do to maximize your app and web revenue.